Step up your chicken game with the best grilled chicken for meal prep. An easy 3 ingredient healthy chicken marinade turns boring meal prep chicken into delicious can't stop eating it chicken.
Sometimes in life you need a marinade that can turn boring chicken into mouth watering scrumptious chicken. Not only that, you need a marinade that can get the job done in a short amount of time, because let’s be honest, it’s hard to remember to marinate meat for longer than say, 30 minutes prior to dinner time.
So I bring to you today, this simple balsamic chicken marinade that will coat your chicken in goodness in less than 30 minutes. That’s long enough to fire up the grill, prep your veggies and set the table. Or get your meal prep done in a hot second.
Plus the best part about this chicken is that it stays tasting like chicken for even the days after you cook it. Don't pretend you don't know what I am talking about, how chicken magically takes on the taste of container it is in.
This balsamic marinated grilled chicken is yummy today and yummy tomorrow. No trickery involved. It has the perfect amount of umami flavor so you can use it for your main course or for topping your next salad.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
You need 3 ingredients for this chicken marinade because obviously, water doesn't count.
- Chicken breast- boneless skinless chicken breast is what I like to use for meal prep. That way I can leave it whole or chop it up for topping with salads or filling a wrap. This marinade will work for any chicken you like best.
- Balsamic vinegar- this should not be subbed with another ingredient.
- Avocado oil- any light tasting oil will work here. I recommend avocado oil or light tasting olive oil.
This recipe is so easy to make! Here are a few tips to make it easier:
- Using a digital meat thermometer really helps with keeping food from being over or under cooked. You will cook the chicken to an internal temperature of 160°F at the thickest part.
- This recipe will work for 1-1½ pounds of chicken, any more than that and your chicken will not be as flavorful without doubling the recipe.
- Use this chicken in so many ways! You can top salads, fill a healthy wrap, use it as a main protein, the possibilities are endless. You can even use this for kids and put in a quesadilla or taco!
What dietary lifestyles does this recipe work for?
This recipe is gluten free, paleo and Whole30 friendly.
Can I freeze the chicken?
Yes absolutely! I would freeze in portions you need after it has cooled. Be sure to keep it in a freezer safe container.
How long can I marinate the chicken?
You could marinate up to 24 hours. Keep in mind the balsamic vinegar is brown, which means it will turn your chicken a brown color the longer it marinates.
Step by step photos
More grilled chicken recipesPrint
The Best Grilled Chicken for Meal Prep
- Total Time: 45
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
Step up your chicken game with the best grilled chicken for meal prep. A stupid easy 3 ingredient marinade turns boring meal prep chicken into delicious can't stop eating it chicken.
- 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil (or oil of choice)
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- In a shallow dish or gallon bag, add your vinegar, water, oil and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Add your chicken to the dish and marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours. Turning half way thru or if in a bag mixing around really well.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, and discard remaining marinade. Grill chicken for 12-14 minutes, flipping half way thru. Time will vary depending on the thickness of your chicken. It is always best to use a digital thermometer and cook to an internal temperature of 160°F at the thickest part.
- Chicken can be served immediately or cooled to room temperature and then stored in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days.
- This chicken is great cold or hot. Just store anything you aren't eating right away in a container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- You could also freeze the cooked chicken and thaw as you need it!
- Prep Time: 3
- Marinate Time: 30
- Cook Time: 12
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: meal prep, grilled chicken meal prep. whole30 chicken, healthy chicken marinade
Leave a Note