Rich chocolate cookies with a gooey chocolate chips made completely vegan. These sunbutter chocolate expresso cookies are soft and chewy and perfect for dessert or with a morning cup of coffee. Gluten free and refined sugar free.
- 1/2 cup of finely ground almond flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup of sunbutter, slightly runny
- 1/2 cup of pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teasooon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips (allergy friendly or vegan)
- 1 tablespoon of instant coffee (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a cookie sheet by lining with parchment paper.
- Mix the instant coffee with the water and stir to combine. Set aside. (see notes)
- In a large mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients: almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa. Whisk to combine.
- Add your wet ingredients to the dry ingredients: maple syrup, sunbutter and coffee that was set aside. Use a mixing spoon to stir ingredients until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Let batter rest for a 3 minutes. Dough will be like a very thick bake batter, you will not be able to roll it, but it should not be super runny.
- Place cookie dough onto prepared cookie sheet by the rounded tablespoonful (see note). Place 2" apart to allow for some spreading.
- Bake for 9 minutes or until just set and still soft in the center. The cookies will look very wet in between the cracks but the edges will be just set.
- Remove and let cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before using a spatula to gently move cookies to a cooling rack. If you go to move the first cookie and it seems too fragile still, wait a few more minutes to cool. Let cool all the way before enjoying.
- Store in an airtight container in fridge or room temperature. Cookies will get softer as days pass if stored at room temp.
- almond flour is not the same as almond meal, use a finely ground almond flour
- if you would like to omit the coffee be sure to omit the water as well. Or use a decaf instant coffee so you still have the amazing flavor.
- if you get crazy and make the cookie dough larger than a tablespoon you may need to cook a tad longer. I recommend sticking to 1 rounded tablespoonful of dough.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 9
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sunbutter cookies, chocolate sunbutter cookies, vegan sunbutter cookies, chocolate expresso sunbutter cookies