Comforting shredded Cuban pork, slow cooked until fall apart tender. Full of flavor and aromatic spices and a perfect hands off dinner.
I have a few pre requisites when it comes to slow cooker food.
First, it has to taste good the day you make it AND days after you make it. It can't have that weird slow cooker taste some food likes to get.
Second, I want it to be good plain and not need something else to cover the taste of crockpot.
This shredded Cuban pork checks all the boxes.
This slow cooked pork is amazing the day you make it, the day after, cold or reheated. It’s the meat that just keeps on giving. You can even pan fry the shredded pork so it's crispy on the outside for a real treat.
It is pretty hands off except for having to slap some spices onto the pork butt (haha), other than that its all done in your crockpot!
Ways to use this pork
- Eating all by itself with bare hands straight out the crock pot
- Meal prep for food the entire week (if you can keep yourself from eating it all at once)
- Pork tacos
- Pork bowls with rice or fried plantains.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
To make this pork you will need the following ingredients:
- Pork butt- the pork butt is also known as a pork shoulder. Try to find a boneless version. It will be smaller and easier to work with.
- Steak seasoning- this is an easy to find spice in your local grocery store baking aisle. It really does make the recipe perfect so don't skip out on it. If you want to make your own here is a homemade steak seasoning recipe.
- Pineapple juice- is what makes the recipe a little special. If you don't have pineapple juice you can sub in orange juice and it will taste just as fantastic.
Expert tips and how to store
A few tips:
- Don't peak and lift the lid while you are slow cooking the pork. This is a warning not a suggestion. Do not lift the lid until time is up. You want this to be literally falling apart it is so tender and lifting the lid does not help this.
- Cook on high, low just didn't cut it with getting the meat fall apart tender.
How to store
Store the shredded pork in an air tight container in the fridge up to 3-4 days. This will freeze well after shredded, just be sure to let it cool all the way before placing in the freezer.
Let's do this
Get in that kitchen and make this pork! Let me know what you think in the comments below! I love hearing from you. Or tag me on Instagram @sweetrusticbakes.
Need a side dish? This is one of the most popular recipes on the blog - Gluten Free Mac and Cheese.Print