A savory breakfast bowl with eggs and potatoes (tater tots!) and the classic flavors of a Denver omelet! Crispy tater tots for your base, creamy scrambled egg all combined with green peppers, onion, ham, and Swiss cheese.
Do you ever go to a diner and wish you could recreate how amazing they make breakfast taste, in the comfort of your own kitchen?
Well, today you can friends. Because this Denver Tot Savory Breakfast Bowl is like a diner in a bowl, but so much healthier made from home.
Plus it is gluten-free and can easily be made paleo if you eliminate the cheese!
I mean just imagine biting into the ever-amazing crispy tater tots and with each bite you get a taste of salty ham, crisp onions, and green peppers. Then you have the creamy scrambled eggs and melty Swiss cheese to top it off.
I know Swiss isn't a traditional Denver omelet ingredient but I think you should at least give it a try for the sake of saying you did. You won't be mad about it. I promise.
Ingredients and Substitutions
The ingredient list is small and friendly and super tasty. Here is what you need:
- frozen tater tots- be sure to read the ingredient labels and find a tater tot that meets your dietary needs. There can be some pretty nasty ingredients in them if you are not careful.
- sliced deli ham- I used Boars Head Simplicity brand.
- Swiss cheese- I will always recommend you go the route of a cheese bar and shred yourself. You eliminate gross ingredients and it tastes better.
- green pepper
- white onion
Obviously, you will need some butter for cooking and salt and pepper to taste.
Feel free to sub in any ingredient you want. This bowl is completely customizable to your tastes! Like fried eggs? That works too. Craving hash browns? Perfect eat em up!
Can I make this breakfast bowl ahead of time?
Yes,this bowl can be made ahead of time and you could do it one of two ways.
First way: you can follow all the directions, divide the meals into three meal prep bowls and you have breakfast for half the week.
Second way: just make all of the ingredients and keep them separated like a salad bar. Then assemble the bowls as you eat them through out the week!
Don't forget to come back and let me know how much you love this Denver breakfast bowl! I would love for you to share on IG and tag me in it @sweetrusticbakes so I can see your awesome creations!
Now it is time to have diner deliciousness in a bowl!Print
Denver Tot Savory Breakfast Bowl
- Total Time: 35
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
A Denver omelet turned inside out into a savory breakfast bowl. Crispy tater tots accompany creamy scrambled eggs, fresh green pepper and onion and of course lots of ham and Swiss cheese.
- 16 ounces of frozen tater tots (half a bag)
- 3 large slices of deli ham, chopped (about ½ cup chopped)
- ½ cup green pepper diced
- ½ cup white onion diced
- 6 large eggs, whisked
- 4 ounces of shredded Swiss cheese (or cheese of choice)
- 1 tablespoon of butter (divided)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your even to the temperature per your bag of frozen tater tots. Cook half of the bag (16 ounces) according to the package directions.
- 10 minutes before your tater tots are finished cooking start the rest of the recipe begin to cook the rest of the ingredients.
- In a medium skillet heat half of the oil or butter on medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, add your diced green peppers, onions and ham. Saute for 2-3 minutes until the peppers and onions are softened but still crisp. Remove the onions, peppers, and ham and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining oil and heat on medium heat. Add your whisked eggs to the pan and cook the eggs until scrambled how you like.
- Once the tater tots are finished cooking begin to assemble your Denver tot bowls. Add ⅓ of the tater tots, ⅓ of the pepper ham mixture and ⅓ of the scrambled eggs to each bowl. Salt and pepper to taste and top with Swiss cheese and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baking and stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free breakfast bowl, savory breakfast bowl, egg breakfast bowl, denver tot breakfast bowl, denver omelet
Want more breakfast recipes? Try this Sweet Potato, Egg and Bacon Hash or if you are craving something sweet and quick try these Banana Breakfast Cookies
Leave a Note