Oh instant pot potato soup, you are such a life saver. You have become one of my favorite, I don't feel like cooking dinner meals. This super easy, super cheesy, instant pot soup is perfect for those days you come home from work and you are starving and need dinner on the table super stat.
This instant pot potato soup is only 5 ingredients and so delicious. But here’s your warning,this soup isn’t for the light eater. This potato soup here, is a man’s soup. A soup that your husband will love eating because he is actually full after eating it. Or a chick (like me) that likes to eat and isn’t afraid to go back for seconds.
Not a soup for quitters, but for those with a big appetite and a love for creamy cheesy potato soup. Do you think you can handle this man’s man instant pot potato soup recipe? Then carry on my friend.
So here we are, Instant Pot Soup Sunday #2! This is your second post in a series for 4 where you will get absolutely scrumptious soups you can make in the instant pot every Sunday. Today’s soup is obviously potato soup in the instant pot!
4 reasons you need this potato soup in your life
- It's fuss free
- Only 5 ingredients go into the soup.
- It is a one pot dream with no other dishes to clean up
- Your husband or S.O. will actually be happy you fixed soup for dinner.
What’s the deal with men not liking soup as much as chicks? Do you have this problem at your house too? Because I could definitely live off soup. It is one of my favorite things to meal prep because it lasts for days. My husband on the other hand considers soup a snack.
Anyway, enough about how weird men can be, let’s get back to the soup.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Potato Soup
For this potato soup you will need the following ingredients:
- Potatoes- Russet baking potatoes should be used, nothing red or golden, they are too waxy.
- Chicken broth- this is the base of the soup and what you cook the potatoes in
- Cream cheese- just 4 oz's of your favorite cream cheese will be blended in to make the soup extra creamy
- Cheddar cheese- to me (thanks O’charleys) potato soup should be golden. This turns your soup that golden cheesy color.
- Garlic- yummy flavor cooked right in with the potatoes
- Toppings- I suggest you add lots of toppings to your soup, which does make it more than 5 ingredients, but you don’t have to. Topping suggestions include- bacon (obv), green onions or chives, more cheese (duh), paprika, or sour cream.
Step by step instructions
You will obviously need an instant pot, but you will also need a way to blend some of the soup up. I used an immersion blender but you could also use a blender.
- Start with cleaning, peeling and chopping your potatoes. They don’t have to be cut into small chunks, I cut each potato into about 16 pieces because they were medium to large potatoes.
- Add your chopped potatoes to the instant pot and measure your three cups of broth and place in the instant pot with the potatoes. Next mince your garlic and throw that into the instant pot as well.
- Close the lid (make sure the valve is closed) and set the instant pot to manual, for 8 minutes. After the time is up quick release (open valve) immediately.
- Cut the cream cheese into chunks and add to the cooked broth and potatoes.
- At this point we need to blend half of the soup.
Immersion blender method
Use an immersion blender to blend as much of the potatoes you would like. I blended half the potatoes into a puree and left half chunky. Be sure that you blend all of the cream cheese. To use the immersion blender I had to place the blender on top of the potatoes and move it around to get what I wanted smooth.
Carefully remove half of your potatoes and enough broth to blend the potatoes. Blend until smooth and then add back into the soup
- Next add your cheese give it a stir so it is melted and the soup changes color to a golden cheesy color. Now serve it up with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
This is a very thick soup. Especially the next day, it is borderline mashed potatoes. So if you are not in to thick soups be sure to add more chicken broth. Or if you want it to be even creamier you could also add half and half or milk of choice. I would start with 1 cup of additional liquid.
If you add more liquid you may want taste to see if your salt needs to adjusted.Print
Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
5 ingredient Instant Pot Potato Soup. Gluten free, cheesy and so filling! Load it up with your favorite toppings for pure comfort in a bowl!
- 8 medium russet potatoes- cubed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 oz cream cheese- cubed
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- salt to taste
- Clean, peel, and cube potatoes into medium to large pieces. I chopped each potato into about 16 pieces.
- Mince garlic.
- Add garlic and potatoes to the instant pot and cover with chicken broth.
- Place lid on instant pot and turn on manual setting for 8 minutes.
- Quick release the valve when it is finished cooking.
- Add cubed cream cheese and stir.
- Use an immersion blender to blend half of your soup, leaving half of your potatoes in chunks and half pureed. Be sure to blend all of the cream cheese.
- Add shredded cheese and salt and stir.
- Serve warm, topped with your favorite toppings such as bacon, cheese, green onions, paprika, or sour cream.
- If you do not have an immersion blender you can carefully remove half of your potatoes into a blender. Use enough broth to blend and then add back to your instant pot.
- If you would like a thinner soup, you could add more chicken broth a ½ cup at a time until desired consistency.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
Be sure to check out Instant Pot Soup Sunday #1 if you missed it here for an amazing Creamy Sausage and Rotel Soup recipe.
I would LOVE to hear from you friends! Let me know what you think about this instant pot soup series below!
Leave a Note