Upgrade taco night with this one dish ground turkey sweet potato skillet! This delicious easy weeknight dinner is flavored with homemade taco seasoning and can be loaded up with your favorite taco toppings!
Tacos + sweet potatoes + ground turkey equals you are welcome!
I love an easy dinner. I love easy dinners that have everything in one giant bowl even more. This is like the perfect healthy yet feel like a fun dinner kind of meal.
You get the taco flavors and the ability to load it up baby! The toppings are definitely how you can make this meal work for any diet! If you want Doritos on it, do it up! Need to keep it clean just do lettuce, guac and salsa.
Bonus points, this recipe is one of those skillet meals that makes really good leftovers or a super easy peasy meal prep.
Things that make this skillet meal amazing:
- Ready start to finish in under 30 minutes
- Totally customizable- add cheese, sour cream, black beans anything works!
- No need to cook a side dish! The entire meal is all in the skillet with veggies protein and carbs
- We use shredded sweet potatoes because they are so much easier and faster to cook!
Ingredient notes and substitutions
- Sweet Potatoes- Aka yams. They are one in the same thing so buy either. You can also use a white sweet potato if you want the color to be less threatening of health benefits for picky kids. I would even go to say this would be epic with regular potatoes.
- Ground turkey- You can use whichever leanness you like. Or sub in any ground meat that you have on had. Sometimes I even do half turkey half ground beef.
- Taco Seasoning spices- I one billion percent believe you should make homemade like in the recipe. But if that is too much and you want to use a packet you can. I would highly encourage you to read the ingredients to your taco packet. They can have super nasty bad for you ingredients.
- Red/Green Pepper- feel free to use whatever kind of pepper you like. You can use all green, throw in some yellow. It all works for this dish.
- Shredding is easier- So hopefully you have a food processor, but if you don't you can totally shred by hand. Also if you don't have a shredder period, you can dice these potatoes. The cooking time is just going to change a bit. Just cook until they are crispy on the outside and fork tender.
- Oil- Don't be shy with the oil if you feel like the sweet potatoes are sticking to the skillet to much when cooking.
What dietary lifestyles does this ground turkey sweet potato skillet work for?
This easy dinner is naturally gluten free. It is also Whole30 compliant, paleo and so healthy!
Does it freeze well?
This dish wouldn't be the best frozen. While it would still taste great, your going to lose some of the texture of the sweet potatoes when you freeze it.
Can I meal prep this?
This meal would be so bomb for meal prep! It is easy to make, makes a ton, and will taste so good later in the week the longer it sits together. You could even make it a different meal with different toppings each day of the week!