These air fryer fingerling potatoes are out of this world good! Buttery fingerling potatoes are coated with a burst of dry spices and then made crispy (and healthy) in the air fryer. Ready in under 15 minutes!
Do you know what happens anytime I mention fingerling potatoes to ANYONE? They say "oh my gosh fingerling potatoes are my favorite". And with good reason. Creating this recipe was my first experience with fingerling potatoes and I can without shame say, I ate all of them...every single time I tested the recipe.
Fingerling potatoes are the best potatoes and when you pop them in the air fryer and then dip them in this Lemon Dill Aioli, you have one of the best potato side dishes ever.
What are fingerling potatoes?
These buttery, nutty earthy potatoes come in a shape that is 2-4 inches in length and in the shape of a finger (obv) or oblong. They come in a variety of colors and often in a "medley" bag that has red, orange, purple or white flesh.
Fingerling potatoes are waxy and firm and the flavors enhance when you roast or air fry.
Ingredients for this recipe
- Fingerling potatoes- As mentioned above fingerling potatoes come in a variety of flesh colors. They all taste the same so you can use whatever color you find. In my area I tend to only see a "medley" bag that contains a variety of colors in one bag.
- Avocado oil- Avocado oil is a great oil to use as it does well under high temperatures and is not considered a high inflammatory oil. It also doesn't have a powerful flavor making it perfect for recipes. You can substitute your favorite cooking oil. Note, that using virgin olive oil is not recommended for this recipe.
- Dried spices- For this recipe, we will use paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder and mustard powder. Mustard powder can be found at local grocery stores and adds a hint of acidity and kick to these fingerlings.
How to make fingerling potatoes in the air fryer
- Gather and prep your ingredients. Scrub and dry your potatoes.
2. In a small bowl, add all of your dried spices and use a fork to mix evenly.
3. Cut your fingerling potatoes in half or quarter if really large. The goal is to get them even in thickness (not length). Add to a large bowl.
4. Coat the potatoes evenly with the oil, I like to use my hands to toss and rub the oil in coating every surface.
5. Sprinkle the coated potatoes with the spice mixture and then toss to coat evenly with the spices. Using your hands works best here.
6. Add your potatoes to the air fryer basket in an even layer without overlapping.
7. Air fry at 400°F for 8 minutes and then shake the basket moving the potatoes around. Air fry for another 6 minutes or until desired crispiness. Depending on the size of your potatoes it may take longer.
8. Serve alongside this super easy Lemon Dill Aioli or your favorite dipping sauce.
What to serve air fryer fingerling potatoes with
Dipping sauces are a great accompaniment for these potatoes. We love:
- Lemon Dill Aioli sauce
- sriracha mayo sauce
You can serve them alongside a meal as well. Try serving them with these dishes:
- Air Fryer Pesto Chicken Meatballs
- The Best Grilled Chicken for Meal Prep
- Turkey, Bacon and Gorgonzola Meatballs
Tips, storage, and how to reheat
- How to store: If you have leftover potatoes or want to make them ahead of time for meal prep you can store these in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- How to reheat: These will reheat really well in the air fryer. If you need to reheat these I put them in the air fryer at 400°F for about 4-5 minutes and they are ready to go again!
- Top tips:
- Keep them in an even layer without overlapping. The air needs room to circulate.
- More oil isn't the key. Your air fryer doesn't actually need a ton of oil to make things crispy.
- If you don't make them even in thickness some pieces may take longer to cook. Be sure to take the time to cut into even thicknesses.
Should I wash my fingerling potatoes first?
The correct responsible answer to this question is yes. Potatoes are grown in the ground and the skins can harbor pesticides and more. Just be sure not to wash them in advance.
Why am I having a hard time finding them?
If you are having a hard time finding fingerling potatoes, you are not alone. While they are actually in season all year long, it can be hard to find them, especially organic. I find it easier to look online before heading to a grocery store so I can see who has them.
How long do you cook fingerling potatoes in the air fryer?
This recipe has you air-frying your potatoes for a total of 14 minutes. I like to do a longer fry time in the first half of cooking before shaking the potatoes versus shaking halfway through.