This creamy taco soup comes together quickly on the stovetop, with an easy ingredient list, and tons of flavor. The whole family will devour this soup and you can top it with your favorite toppings.
- 1 pound ground beef ( I used 85/15)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups thick and chunky salsa (see notes)
- 4.5-ounce can green chiles
- 13. 5-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (see notes)
- 1 packet dry ranch seasoning packet (see notes for dairy free)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup sour cream, vegan or regular
Crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream or your favorite taco toppings
- In a large pot, add ground beef, red bell pepper, black pepper and salt on medium-high heat. Using a spatula break beef up into crumbles as you brown. Beef is ready when you no longer see pink, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the remaining soup ingredients to the pot except for the sour cream. This includes salsa, chickpeas, green chiles, ranch packet, broth, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and oregano. Stir to combine.
- Bring to boil and then cover and reduce to a simmer on low-medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occassionaly.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream until smooth and combined. Taste and additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Divide into individual bowls, top with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
- Salsa- Use thick and chunky and be sure to use mild if you do not want a spicy soup. I like medium salsa for this recipe.
- Ranch packet- Primal Palate has a delicious dairy free Paleo/Vegan friendly Garden ranch seasoning mix.
- If you don't like chickpeas sub in your favorite canned bean like black beans. If you want a chunkier soup you could also do two cans of chickpeas.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamy taco soup, taco soup, ranch packet taco soup