A dreamy indulgent morning coffee drink that is paleo and vegan without any coconut! This Sweet Cream Cashew Coffee is frothy, creamy and made from ingredients you can find in your pantry.
Oh hiya there you coffee drinker you!
Glad to meet another one of my kind of people. A paleo coffee drinker looking for that amazing coffee drink that doesn't taste like garbage because it's paleo kind of people.
I have for you today a coffee drink that doesn't taste like grossness. It tastes like creamy sweetness that most definatly doesn't taste like it is 100% oh so good for you.
The magic we are making today involves coconut sugar, coconut cream, and cashews. Sounds weird right? And if you have ever made any paleo coffee creamers out there before you might be hesitant to try this.
I get it, until now I was never a huge fan of any homemade coffee creamers I have tried making. But this one? This one wins and I love it.
Enter your new favorite way to drink coffee in the morning, Sweet Cream Cashew Coffee.
Your favorite morning cup of joe becomes thick and creamy with the help of your blender and buttery sweet cashews. It takes less than a few minutes to make and I have some tips and tricks to make it go even faster for you in the mornings.
I love that this coffee can be made with pantry staples. Perfect to always have on hand in a pinch!
- Coconut cream
- Coconut sugar
- Cashews (raw)
This recipe is a beauty for substitutions! You can sub most of these ingredients with whatever is in your pantry.
- Coconut cream- feel free to use a can of coconut cream or simply use the cream the top of a coconut milk can that has not been shaken.
- Coconut sugar- can be substituted with cane sugar, regular sugar, honey or maple syrup or even stevia. You may need to adjust the amount of sweetener used when changing out the sweetener.
- Cashews- should not be switched out of the recipe but you could substitute what kind of cashew you use. We buy raw cashews because it is extremely difficult to find cashews that are not roasted in highly inflammatory oils. If you can find unsalted, dry roasted cashews those would be a great substitute for raw cashews. If you use salted cashews, there will obviously be a salty taste, but I think that would probably taste pretty good!
Benefits of cashew coffee
There are tons of benefits to adding cashews and coconuts to your morning coffee.
The fats found in cashews and in coconut cream are so good for you friend. Cashews are high in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats which make them good for heart health.
Cashews are also high in magnesium which helps over 300 functions in the body and most of you are deficient in it. They contain the flavanol proanthocyanidins. Proanthocyandins help protect the body against cancer.
Coconut has its own profile of benefits as well. Coconut milk (the kind from a can) has anti inflammatory properties, antioxidants, boosts the immune system and is great for your hair and nails.
Step by step
- Soak: To make this coffee I highly recommend you soften your cashews by soaking them in hot water for about 15 minutes. I realize that is a preposterous amount of time to have to wait for coffee in the morning so I have a hack. Soak your cashews the night before, drain them and stick them in the fridge covered in a container. Then just take what you need in the morning.
I am not positive how long cashews will last this way in the fridge. I have successfully softened my cashews and left them in the fridge for two days with no ill repercussions.
- Brew: Brew your coffee. You will need 8 ounces for one serving of this awesome cashew coffee.
- Blend: After your coffee has brewed place your cashews, coconut cream, and coconut sugar in a blender. Start out slow and gradually increase the speed to the highest setting. Blend for 30 seconds on high. If you did not soak your cashews you will probably want to strain your coffee thru a fine mesh sieve or nut bag.
- Enjoy: Pour into your favorite mug, top with a sprinkle of cinnamon if desired, relax and enjoy.
Sweet Cream Cashew Coffee (Vegan)
- Total Time: 16
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
A dreamy indulgent morning coffee drink for those days you're missing your coffee shop fix. This Sweet Cream Cashew Coffee is frothy, creamy and made from ingredients you can find in your pantry.
- 2 tablespoons raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 8 ounces strongly brewed coffee (decaf or regular)
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream (see notes)
- Soak your cashews and drain (see notes)
- Brew your coffee
- Place coffee, cashews, coconut sugar and coconut cream in a high power blender. Blend for 30 seconds starting out slow and slowly increasing your speed. Make sure most of the time is spent on high power. If you soak your cashews before hand and have a high power blender you should not need to strain the drink. If you were too lazy (been there) to soak or your blender is sucky strain thru a fine mesh sieve or nut milk bag first.
- Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy.
- Coconut sugar- feel free to sub with your favorite sweetner. Adjust the amount depending on the sweetner you use.
- Coconut cream- you can buy coconut cream in a can. Or you can use the coconut cream that settles in the can of full fat coconut milk. Just place the can in fridge ahead of time and let the cream harden at the top. Take out of fridge and open from the bottom of the can to drain the liquid away from cream.
- Cashews- you can sub raw cashews for roasted cashews. If salted it may alter the taste. Also try and find cashews without yucky inflammatory oils.
Soaking your cashews
To soak your cashews, place in very hot or boiling water for 15 minutes. You could even soak them over night in cold water if you remember. That is all you need to do it for to soften them. I have successfully soaked these the day before in hot water and then stuck them in the fridge for up to 2 days with success. If you do not soak your cashews you may end up with bits of cashews in your coffee. Just strain thru a fine mesh sieve while pouring. Or a nut milk bag.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 1
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cashew coffee, vegan coffee creamer, sweet cream cashew coffee, paleo cashew coffee
This coffee is inspired by a recipe I saw on Pinch of Yum a while back. This site is awesome if you haven’t been there before...head over AFTER you are finished here 😉
Catherine | Peaches and Pennies
This sounds completely delicious! I never thought to use cashews in a coffee drink.
It's definitely a must try! So creamy!