Luxurious, soft pillowy brown butter sage gnocchi with sweet Italian sausage. Get a dinner that feels fancy, tastes delicious and only has 6 ingredients on the table in less than 30 minutes.
- 24 ounces of prepared gnocchi (I used this gluten free gnocchi)
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2-3 handfuls of fresh baby spinach, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon of dried sage
- approx. 18 ounces, uncooked, sweet Italian sausage links
- grated Parmesan cheese for topping (optional)
- Spinach and garlic- finely chop your baby spinach into slivers. Grate your garlic. Set aside.
- Sausage- Grill sausage until cooked. I grilled on a low for about 7 minutes each side. Cook to an internal temperature of 160°F. Cut into slices and set aside.
- Gnocchi- Prepare your gnocchi according to the package directions. See notes.
- Brown Butter- to have your dinner ready all at the same time and in under 30 minutes begin browning your butter first. Let this cook and brown while you prepare your other food ingredients. Place your butter in a small sauce pan. Turn the heat on a medium heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to a low/medium heat and let the butter cook down. As the butter cooks, stir or swirl the pan occasionally. The butter will start yellow, then turn frothy, next a golden yellow color and finally a toasty brown. You will smell a nutty aroma when the butter has been browned. Be sure to keep the heat on the low/medium side so you do not burn the butter. This entire step should take about 15-20 minutes if you are using a sauce pan. Possibly less time if you use a skillet.
- Combine- Place your cooked gnocchi, cooked Italian sausage, spinach, garlic and sage in a large enough skillet that will hold all of the ingredients. Pour in the brown butter and gently stir to combine. Heat on medium heat until spinach has wilted and flavors have combined. About 5 minutes.
- If you would prefer to brown your gnocchi after cooking according to the package, place your cooked gnocchi in large skillet. Snag a tablespoon of your butter that is browning and add to the skillet. Brown the gnocchi on all sides over medium heat. This gives the gnocchi a slightly crispier texture.
- If you do not have a grater you can always mince your garlic instead or make a paste.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Gnocchi, brown butter gnocchi, butter and sage gnocchi