A mildly spiced soup filled with hearty tender potatoes, ground beef and Mexican spices. This ground beef and potato Mexican soup is reminiscent of your favorite taco soup.
- 1 pound of ground beef (I used 85% lean grass fed beef you can use what you like)
- 1/2 cup of diced yellow onion (about half and onion)
- 1/2 cup of diced red pepper (about half a red pepepr)
- 4 cups of diced (cleaned and peeled) yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/2" inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 10 ounce can of diced tomato and jalapeno mix (like Rotel)
- 1 tablespoon of oil of choice
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat the oil on medium heat. When hot add the onion and red pepper to the pot. Sauté, stirring frequently, until fragrant and beginning to soften. About 2 minutes.
- Add ground beef to the onions and peppers. Brown ground beef until it is about 80% brown and only some pink remains about 4 minutes. Be sure to break the ground beef up into small pieces while cooking. A wooden spoon is best for this. Add all of the dried spices to the beef and peppers and saute for 1 minute while stirring to combine.
- Add the broth, rotel and potatoes to the pot and bring to a boil. Boil at a rapid simmer for 7 minutes or until potatoes are tender and you can pierce with a fork. Do not over cook the potatoes.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired. I liked mine with an additional 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Serve warm and top with your favorite taco toppings like cheese or sour cream if desired.
- To store, keep in the fridge in an air tight container 3-5 days.
- feel free to top with your favorite toppings! Lime juice, sour cream, cheese and tortilla chips would all be amazing.
- any ground meat will work for this recipe so feel free to substitute turkey or chicken if desired.
- yukon gold or russet potatoes work the best
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: taco soup, beef and potato soup taco soup, beef and potato soup