You cannot go wrong with these buttery, chocolatey almond flour chocolate chip cookies loaded with m&m's.
These freaking cookies.
They are a buttery, chocolatey cookie party for your mouth. I kid you not.
Like, we have a loaded almond flour chocolate chip cookie, but upgraded with M&M's. Because, why the heck not.
I went with peanut M&M's (healthy ones, you need not, if healthy is not your jam) and the peanuts makes these pretty much epic. Because you have the crunchiness and the peanuts...and these are kinda salty with the added peanut M&M's so do you see why these are so epic?
Ingredient notes and substitutions
Here are a few things to keep in mind with the ingredients used:
- Almond flour- Be sure to use a finely ground almond flour. There are some flours that say almond flour/meal, and it should work as long as it is finely ground. Do not sub the almond flour for another gluten free flour.
- Tapioca flour- Tapioca absorbs liquid different than other flours. Do not sub this ingredient for another flour.
- Chocolate chips- Feel free to use whatever chocolate chips you like for this recipe. You could even had more for a super amazing cookie. I use Enjoy Life or cheap version of that for an allergy friendly chocolate chip.
- M&M's- For a healthier version of M&M's without gross food dyes and other disgusting ingredients I used Unreal brand. They are pretty easy to find at stores but you can also get online.
- Coconut sugar- I have not tested another type of sugar. However any granulated sugar should work fine.
A few tips to make this recipe go as smooth as possible!
- Chill- Chilling isn't MANDATORY, but highly recommended. It will keep the cookies from spreading as much. If you skip chilling (which come on folks, it's only 15 minutes) leave about 3 inches between the cookies.
- Room Temp- It is always best to use ingredients that are room temperature. Starting with cold butter or cold eggs will make a curdled mixture. Not cool friends.
- Don't cram- Don't try and fit all of your cookies onto one sheet. Use two sheets or bake one set. Let your cookie sheet cool, then bake the rest.
- Be patient- Be patient and let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet before moving. They need a moment to come together before being man handled.
Are these cookies grain free?
Yes! These cookies are grain free and gluten free. Be sure you check your M&M's that you use and the ingredients are safe for you and your family to eat!
Are these cookies paleo?
No, these are not "strict" paleo for a number of reasons. They do contain butter and baking powder, which if you are strict paleo they are not compliant.
Are these healthy?
They are definitely healthier than a traditional cookie. Almond flour offers good for you fats, fiber and protein. There are no refined sugars if you are careful with your M&M choice.
Step by step photo guide
In case you need a peek at what each step should look like, feel free to follow along with these step by step process photos of how to make almond flour chocolate chip M&M cookies.
More almond flour cookie recipes
- Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Paleo Cookies
- Almond Flour Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- The Best Soft and Chewy Paleo Granola Cookies
Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies with "M&M's"
- Total Time: 18
- Yield: 13-15 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
Slightly crispy a lot chewy these grain free chocolate chip cookies and sure to be your new favorite!
- 1 ¼ cup finely ground almond flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, room temp
- ½ cup of your favorite chocolate chips ( I used allergy friendly)
- ½ cup M&M candies (see notes for what I used)
Start by pre-heating your oven to 350°F. Prepare two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together your butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Cream about 2 minutes until it is smooth and getting fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla to the creamed butter and sugar. Continue to cream until thickened and smooth. About 1-2 minutes.
- Slow the mixer down and slowly add your ingredients in the following order- almond flour, tapioca flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Be sure to scrape down the sides as needed.
- When the batter is combined evenly fold in the chocolate chips and M&M's by hand with a large spoon.
- Cover dough and chill for 15 minutes in the fridge.
- Using a large cookies scoop or a large rounded tablespoon of dough, scoop and place evenly 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet. Leave the dough you are not using in the fridge until the first batch is cooked.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes. The cookies will be just set in the middle, and the edges will begin to become dark golden.
- Let cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing with a spatula and placing on a cooling rack to cool the remainder of the way. Repeat baking process with the remainder of the dough.
- Store these cookies in a container that is not sealed all the way. Just leave the lid cracked open a little up to 3 days. Gluten free baked goods with almond flour tend to get softer when sealed in an airtight container.
- You could also store these in the freezer and remove as you want to eat them. They are ready to eat just minutes after being set out. The longer you leave them out of the freezer the softer they get.
- I used Unreal chocolate candies for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 8
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
Keywords: almond flour chocolate chip cookies, almond flour cookies, healthy cookies
In the directions you have add egg and vanilla but there is no egg in the ingredient list. How many eggs?
Hi Sally, the ingredient list says 1 egg. Thanks!