This healthy almond butter snack cake is a paleo and gluten free friendly, moist snack cake you will want to eat all day long!
Snack cake, aka, cake without icing that is perfect for snacking on all day long.
Almond butter snack cake, aka, the best easiest paleo snack cake to whip up when you need something sweet and filling.
Yes, filling. Because it would be impossible for you to eat a cake full of healthy almond butter and not be satisfied after eating.
Well maybe not impossible, because it is so good you may not be able to stop snacking on it. But you will get a nice dose of protein with each piece that you won't find any other snack cakes out there.
Why is this Almond Butter Snack Cake healthy?
Everyone has a different version of healthy, but to me this snack cake is about as healthy as a cake can get. It is made with real food, whole inredients.
This cake is full of protein from the almond butter, eggs and almond flour. In fact there is over 60 grams of protein in this cake! Woo hoo, that means its an awesome any time snack for me.
This easy gluten free snack cake also contains no refined sugars.
Is this snack cake Paleo, gluten free, dairy free?
Yes, this cake is paleo which automatically makes it a gluten free and dairy free snack cake.
Expert tips and Substitutions
You honestly do not need any tips to make this cake. It is very "non-baker friendly". You will find it super hard to mess up unless you just forget it is in the oven!
But I feel like I should offer you something so here goes.
- Use parchment paper for the best results. It will be the easiest way to get the cake out of the pan.
- Bake until it is firm to touch, a lovely golden color and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Almond butter- If you do not have almond butter or do not like it, you can solve for any nut butter you have on hand. Just make sure it isn't super oily.
And if you sub in sunflower butter expect it to turn green due to the reaction it has with leavening agents. It's fine to eat, just has a green tint.
Eggs- I have not tried making this without eggs, you could try substituting the equal amount in chia eggs. I think you will get the same great taste, but a little less rise.
Maple syrup- You can sub the maple syrup for any other thick liquid sweetener you have on hand like agave or honey. Expect the taste to be a tad different and know agave isn't paleo.
Questions or Comments?
If you have any questions or comments be sure to leave them below! If you make this recipe I would love to connect with you on IG or Pinterest! Be sure to share a pic and tag me in @sweetrusticbakes.
Would you love another nut butter filled treat? Check out these amazing White Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies!Print
Almond Butter Snack Cake
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 12 slices 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
A quick and easy paleo and gluten free almond butter snack cake. Full of protein and delicious for anytime of the day.
- 1 ¼ cup almond butter
- 2 tablespoons almond flour (see notes)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder (see notes)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ tablespoon of water
- ½ tablespoon of cocoa powder
- ¼ cup of cake batter
- Pre heat oven to 350° F and prepare an 8x8 inch square pan by lining it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, measure and add your - almond butter, almond flour, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, baking powder and baking soda, salt
- Mix by hand with a large spoon until you have a smooth batter that is well combined.
- Remove ¼ cup of batter place in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Pour remaining cake batter into the prepared cake pan
- In the medium bowl with the reserved batter, add the chocolate swirl ingredients- cocoa powder and water. Mix to combine.
- Spoon the reserved chocolate swirl batter onto the batter in the cake pan, by placing spoonfuls randomly on the top.
- Use a butter knife to lightly swirl your chocolate batter into the cake. You do not need to make sure this is well incorporated. The swirl just stays on the top of the cake.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 19-21 minutes. Your cake will be firm, golden, and a toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean when it is finished baking.
- Be sure to use almond flour versus almond meal. If you choose to use almond meal the consistency will be a grittier.
- If you are strict paleo be sure to use a homemade baking powder that is paleo friendly
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: almond butter cake, almond butter snack cake, gluten free snack cake, paleo snack cake, paleo cake
Leave a Note